Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Milk & Meat

Dear bloggie,

Watched the movie "Fork over knives"... My thoughts about the movie... Well, it's does bring out a few provocative revelations such as:

1. Animal meat = Cancer!?
2. Milk = Lead to osteoporosis!!?
3. Real man eat plant!!!?

So, what is fact and what is fiction? The movie promotes 'full vegan' diet as way to go, and actually back it up with the typical unhealthy guy at start of movie, but eat vegan for x weeks case study... No prizes for those that guessed the unhealthy guy ended up more healthy after x weeks.

For me, the revelations does challenges my taken for granted knowledge on nutrition. I mean, a balance meal is a mixture of protein, carbo, fat and vitamin/minerals. For a carnivore like me, my source of protein usually is animal meat, eggs or milk. Now being told that I got my nutrition facts all wrong, and I been shoving cancer promoting food down my mouth put myself in reflection mode. Now that I think about it, how do we really know what we eat is good or bad? We typically refer to those FDA or by conventional wisdom... but how do we even know if these are reliable sources?

Anyway, the main evidence put forward in the movie is a massive scale case study in china where the huge number of rural areas are analysis in terms of diet against cancer rate. The study single out most area that diet consist more of meat have higher rate of cancer. My thoughts on this... well, I personally think it's great if one goes one a vegan diet, but to link meat with cancer perhaps is flawed in the sense, our ancestors have been hunting and eating meat since like A LONG TIME AGO, and yet the cancer ratio have actually pummel the last few decades... I feel it's not meat that's the problem, but rather what shit get feed/injected to the animal that get turns to meat that's really the problem. And when we traverse on why shit get feed/inject to these animal, we go down a familiar path of capitalism at the root of this problem. I however agree that the modern western diet is really farked up... Fast food, canned shit, etc... 

As for milk being bad,  I dunno... The argument that cow milk is made for calf hence not good for us human sounds farked up. Are plants made to be eaten by human? I however would give a benefit of doubt on the milk leading to osteoporosis argument.

So my conclusion I can draw from this movie, while it's the main theme of the movie to encourage us to be full vegan... I believe we ought to walk the middle path and simply eat more vegetable and cut down on meat and milk instead...

0 b*tchin: