Thursday, May 26, 2011

Karma

Dear bloggie,

About a year ago, when I first coded my first module... I was wondering wtf the code I copy and paste so many resource bundle codes to get the string for the labels for the UI. I tak kisah la, and proceed to hardcode the string in the code itself coz lazy wanna add a Bundle.properties + etc... After almost 1/2 year down the road, I thought to myself, "I'd sure pity the poor soul that gonna have to convert these hardcoded strings (not mine onli ok, my team mates also sometimes pang sai like tis one) to comply with internalization."

Today, I learn that paybacks is indeed a b*tch! During spring planning, I was assigned to the "My Gawd" task to fix any parts of the studio that has these hardcoded strings! TNS! MCH! CCB! Niaseng, I think got around 20+ components I need check one by one where got hardcoded string... I mainly fear is that if I changed these string values to read from Bundle files, it will screw up the business object values stored in db. Like for instance drop down, I can't just use the values directly from the drop down anymore coz the values will be in different language, so backend logic thing will screw up especially string comparison. Really amkhan liao lah... Already panic mode...

So, I got 9 days to clear this "My Gawd" task along with 4 minor tasks. My strategy is to quickly clear the 4 minor tasks (3 user story + 1 bug fix) in the next 3 days, so I got the remaining 6 days to work on the "Gawd Damn" task. I predict I won't be able to finish it in time and probably need to carry forward to next sprint.

0 b*tchin: