Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Which jersey?

Dear bloggie,

Wonder which jersey looks better on me?



[Note: Jerseys designed using http://www.teamworkathletic.com]

After a long 1 1/2 month wait, finally get call for 2nd interview from iCIMB. However since I haven't received any formal black and white offer except verbal "Yes, I ticked recommend this candidate" from the hiring manager, I went for some other interviews just in case (and to spend some of my time at least doing something). Last week, I happen to go for an interview for a post in SWIFT. Think I perform okay in the technical test and slightly below average on the interview with the hiring manager (Never could do well in interviews with foreign hiring managers, *Sigh*). My headhunter told me feedback was positive but still need wait at least till mid of this week to know results. I was quite certain on my top choice since I rejected a lot of other offers while waiting for iCIMB but now a bit undecided on which offer to take if SWIFT does indeed offer.

So why iCIMB you ask? Well, the main reason is because I have yet to work in a banking environment yet. My buddy, Daniel also works in IT banking and I heard it can be quite okay work environment. And not to mention the godlike employee benefits (Annual Leave, Insurance, Dental, Optical, Bonus, EPF 16%) from banking sector. Technology wise, I understand they will be using Struts 1 + 2 (Struts 1 is a bit turn off). Workload I was told most projects are internal one, hence dateline won't be as rushed as front end banking systems. I also was kind of looking forward towards working in a mix environment (people, race, role) where I get to socialize with other people beside my nerd IT pack. Since iCIMB is a big organization, I also look forward towards company event like annual dinner, team building, etc which I DO value despite my introvert nature. The only thing I hate is the work location at Plaza Damansara which is not only far but I predict jam-prone (I'm from Bah Kut Teh Land aka Klang). My major concern is only how hectic workload can be considering most people told horror tales of working in IT Banking sector. Hopefully not too hectic so I can split work from life. Minor concern, no personal growth working here since Struts is rather old already.

Now why was my resolve (which saw me reject 8+ other offers) sway after attending the interview with SWIFT? Well for starters, SWIFT implements a more modern IT culture such as flexi hour, working from home and SCRUM. Can anyone blame me for drooling on the prospect I don't need to waste 2 hours of my life on the road everyday to commute to work? Also the technologies they are using seems to be more interesting, mainly Spring alone is already worth the mention. The team itself will be consist of 3 locals developers while the others are based on USA. With this element in the equation, we local developers will have the opportunity to go for an one shot 6 weeks "training" in the US to pickup the culture and knowledge of the US team members. Pretty cool I have to say but having said that, having 1/2 of the team in the US does brings up some concerns for this job. First of all, the 13 hour time difference between US and Malaysia (which is why the flexi hour practice in implemented in the first place). Expect very early morning or very late teleconferencing meetings. Second, implementation of SCRUM with this geographical and timezone difference would indeed pose some challenge. Lastly, I do have some concern on how well we locals can mingle with foreign work colleagues. As MFR said to me, will the foreigners look down on us like how we look down at foreign workers here?

Personally, I tend to favor working in the more dynamic work environment in SWIFT but feel iCIMB is the safer bet for a more balance in work life. So what will I choose? Frankly speaking, I'm still undecided at the moment...

0 b*tchin: