Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fat rant on fat

Dear Emma,

Yes dear, my tummy has reached the 32 inches threshold... And no dear, I'm not fat, it's just my abs workout finally bore fruit...

Who am I kidding... Ever since hanging up my running shoes, it seems someone that lift weights regularly like me is not spared from the beer belly problem. I'm not really sure if it fat or muscle but it seems I no longer need a belt for me to wear old office pants. The stats seems to be pointing to muscle since when I last scaled the fat % machine, my fat was 17% while indicate a slight ~0.5% increase but considering my weight that arose from 65kg to 67kg, a simple math calculation yields:

Weight increase = 67kg - 65kg = 2kg
Fat at start  = 65 x 16.5 / 100 = 10.725kg
Fat at current  = 67 x 17 / 100 = 11.39kg
Fat increase = 11.39kg - 10.725kg = 0.665kg
Estimate Muscle gain = 2kg - 0.665kg = 1.335kg

So I gained an estimated 1.3kg of muscle vs 0.7kg of fat. So logic dictates more muscle go into my belly than fat noes?

Personally I feel a bit sluggish compared to my past self when I actively run. Understandable since I neglected the cardio component of my workout for the past 2 years. To counter measure my "fattening" of my belly, I decided to try to reduce my fat to the recommended 15% mark. So some maths...

15% fat is...
 15kg fat for 100kg fat ass
7.5kg fat for 50kg skinny ass
1.5kg for 10kg ??? ass

To calculate my current weight if I have 15% fat, assuming I maintain my muscle mass

Non fat weight = 67kg -  11.39kg = 55.61kg
55.61kg / New body weight = 100% - 15% = 85%
New body weight = 55.61kg x 100 / 85 = 65.42kg
Fat at new weight = 65 x 15 / 100= 9.75kg
Total fat to lose = 11.39kg - 9.75kg = 1.64kg

My goal is to lose my weight to 65kg, losing of 1.64kg of fat at the price of 0.5kg of muscle.

1kg fat = 3500 calories
1.65kg fat = 5600 calories

I'm planning to achieve this when I start work in March, hence I got a nice month to achieve this.

5600 calories / 4 = 1400 calories deficit per week
1400 calories / 7 = 200 calories deficit  per day average

Now that I done the complete math on it, time to totally chuck it aside and ignore it... In this fitness game, I'm a believer (No Emma, not bieliever) of sweat and stomach. Sweat means workout while stomach means diet.

I will be gradually add back the cardio component into my workout regime. For starters 2 cardio session, a 5K run and a 20 minutes tempo run is what I have in mind. I want to try to limit my cardio work to around 30 minutes max if possible as I fear aggravating of my old injury. I will most likely need to reduce my strength training to facilitate the cardio components, hence I will lower the strength sessions to only 2 per week.

As for diet, I'm think I will start by cleaning up my breakfast and lunch:

2 x Egg breakfast per week
2 x Oatmeal + Protein doping breakfast per week
2 x Pasta lunch per week
2 x Meat lunch per week

Rather than have a radical change to my current eating habits, I think a gradual and flexible "To eat in a week" style diet has better chance to being implemented. By having technically 4 days to fixed breakfast and lunch, I still have a good 3 days and my dinner to look forward for to satisfy my taste bud. Personally I think egg for breakfast and meat for lunch would help me lose more weight but after my previous 2 weeks eat fish for lunch stint, I don't think a diet that simply focus on one food is feasible to implement despite the results.

Possible problems? Oatmeal without the doubt will be my major concern cause:

1. I dun like eating oatmeal
2. Oatmeal never satisfy my hunger
3. I dun like eating oatmeal
4. I dun like eating oatmeal

I'll have a 2 weeks trial on this menu before making making adjustments to it.

0 b*tchin: