Monday, February 10, 2014

Valetines Day

Dear Emma,

It's just Feb, and I already hate 2014. Why you ask, darling? Well, just consider the last 1.5 months time period. Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year and now Valentine Day? Sith Spit... The jolly, review success, family interrogation and the "I'm still single so laugh at me" holiday... Normally I would feel depressed on these days and move on since I endured these shit days for decades already, but the short time span in which these holidays are distanced among each other annoys me. Just when I was over my depression on how empty 2013 turn out for me during New Year in just 1 month, I have to re review 2013 in Chinese New Year. And just 1 weeks later, chap goh mei and this...

Valentine Day
1. Celebration of spring fertility (spring is only really happening around the same latitude as Southern Italy, where this holiday was technically invented, but whatever) as celebrated by the Romans. Later overlapped with the feast of St. Valentine, and was accordingly Christianized in a way that made little to no sense (assuming that St. Valentine was not the patron Saint of getting it on).
2. Some damn Hallmark holiday that was designed to make men, no matter what their situation (dating, married, single, playa, whatever) miserable. 

1. Let's all celebrate the emerging sexual urges of animals in church. Thank you Valentine's Day!  
2. Single men are depressed, dating men are stressed, and married men are teetering on the brink of suicide. Yup, its Valentine's Day.

~I'm single and I know it...

How can I not know it, when every year on this f*ckin day, the world would tell you it's a day for couples to show their love to each other and single people should mourn alone at home, watching the movie "Home Alone" while munching away over a mountain of chocolates.

I quite lazy to repeat the "f*ck you couples for rubbing it into our faces on valentines" banter I have repeated yearly in here so I will try something new this year...

"What ever"

A month off facebook, I managed to realign myself as the center of my universe. I re realize the reality that things are always a ying and yang. Being single sucks, we don't have someone of the opposite sex to share our life with, cuddle at night, mate with, spend our $$$ on presents for days like valentines, etc... but I recall the reality that being a couple ain't a sunshine everyday thing either. Imagine being bound to someone for the rest of your life? Want to go watch an action flick drama but she wants to watch Twilight... Want to eat something cheap but she wants to eat something pricey...Want to spend the weekend at home but she want to go shopping... The expectation and stress of having to fork out $$$ to buy things to show our affection to the other party on days like valentines... The compromises that comes with being a couple.

Yes Emma, it comes with a price.... I guess I was a blinded due to my over addiction to facebook. Constant posts of "Look at me! I'm happy" photos people post in their facebook account I was led to believe every coupled "friend" of mine is happy and riding into the sunset when the reality is no one posts sad photos of themselves in facebook (heck, no one even takes sad photos of themselves). Single people should realize in reality couples have to deal with shit like we do, it's just the shit they deal with is different type of shit. We single deal with our own shit, couples need to work together to deal with their combined shit (Think 2 different color shits in a ice cream shaped swirl).

So to close this blog entry on valentines which I somehow managed to linked to shit, I offer some words of wisdom...

For singles:
Go do something that couples can't do on valentines: booze pass midnight, dota the whole night, watch a movie you like, etc... Stop mourning every single valentine, we should celebrate it too, not as a day we shower our affection to our soul mate (since we don't have one) but rather to shower our affection to our life...
"It's not the love of one other person that's matter. It's the love of life" - Patrick, Before Midnight.
For couples:
F*ck you!

0 b*tchin: