Sunday, January 16, 2011

Boot Camp #2

Dear bloggie,

Yesterday running boot camp was a pretty intense affair.

Round 2 of this running boot camp was held in Taman Tasik Metropolitan, Kepong. So I had to drive around 50+K to get the venue -_-'. I overslept a bit due to a rather sleepless nite due to a stupid stunt I pulled on Friday evening, but somehow my internal alarm clock (abnormal indeed) woke me up at around 5.30am!

After bathing and "henshin" to my running gear, it was already 6am. I had a short panic, as I had less than an hour to get to the venue, which I vaguely know the location. Anyway, flying car at 6am on A Saturday morning was rather nice, no car = no traffic. Reached Damansara area at around 6.20am. The tricky part was after the Kepong toll. According to the instructions, I was to drive till the big Batu Caves roundabout before making a u turn. I have no idea where tis Batu Caves roundabout is, so I just hoped there is sufficient sign boards to help me out. I drove straight the whole way till I reach a big roundabout. Lucky for me, got a small signboard "Bulatan Batu Caves", so I make my u turn. Next, I was to stick to the left and exit left. So the next left, I exit... and ended up in a recycling center >_<. I get into big road again, and exit at the next left. All black, only a half open gate. I drove in, as saw a the car park. I parked my car, and jog across to a small building with a guard, and verified indeed, tis is Taman Tasik Metropolitan...

I waited awhile in the dark, till I saw another camper of tis boot camp. Later saw the orange banner along the trainers. Slowly, one by one campers arrived. Quite a number didn't make it to this weeks training, as I understand there is a Indian praying thingy on that day. So, we were introduced to another trainer, dunno wat name... (I SUX at names, ok). Also got a guest runner, Tee from Brooks. Tee was invited so we campers could ask him tips/hints on getting a running shoe.

Did our routine warm up and started running lor. Ran at an average speed pace, a bit faster than my normal run pace. Run till reach a stair case, UGH! Same like last week, up and down twice... A bit worn out, but lucky leg no problem. Run run, suddenly trainer take detour to a open space and ask do some push up, squats and etc. Do 2 sets, continue running... This would repeat itself for the remaining of the run. Run for a distance, stop do a couple of exercises. Finally till do 1 full circle around the park de, just run the whole way for lap 2. Only near the end of the 2nd lap, I had to stop running to recover. Still somehow managed to keep up with the trainer and top pack. Finish the run in 1 hour 4 minutes...

While RNR, some of us shoot some question to Tee on the running shoes. According to Tee, good brands for running shoes are Brooks, Mizuno and New Balance. He say it's rather hard to go wrong with these 3 brands unless you got the wrong shoe for your foot type. Also he noted most of campers where well equiped as most were wearing Mizuno, Brooks and New Balance (saya and 1 of the trainers, high five new balance kaki!) shoes. Also Tee told us typically runners have 2 shoes, 1 for training and another for the real run. One of the trainers reveal he actually has 3 pairs.

So after our short breather, as expected it's time for the circuit workout. This time got 2 sets of 5-6 exercises. 1st set, each exercise (Push up, Sit up, Burpee, Step Up, Roll Up!?, Squat, Jump Up 1/2 Squat) do for 30 seconds. 2nd set, each exercise (Push Up, Sit Up, Step Up, XXX (Forgot wat 2 more exercise is de)) do for 45 sec. By the 2nd set step up, I recall my leg feel sore de (too much acid lactic in quads), and by Squat (I think), really went limp. At the final 20 secs was really hard, leg already limp yet I pushed myself to do as many I can still do... And when the trainer say "45"... I crash my bum to the earth...

After resting a while, my mind return to reality and a sense of accomplishment washed over me. I really pushed myself to my limit. Overall the run was above average difficult, but the circuit is tough. Yet again, maybe it's due to lack of training the muscle in endurance which makes this circuit tough. After all, bodybuilders tend to do high resistance + low rep workout instead of this low resistance + high rep workout. Next week, FRIM... Trail running... I already feel my kaki gatal now.

0 b*tchin: