Saturday, January 29, 2011

Push yourself to the limit

Dear bloggie,

My fourth boot camp session was held in Padang Merbok, just opposite of Lake Garden. Only 3 campers came this time around, I understand quite a number campers fell ill. 3 campers, 3 trainers... Not a bad thing really, each of us practically get a personal trainer. Today run was a 4.8K run around Padang Merbok route. A route with a nice mixture of flat and hilly terrain. I was pushed by my trainer, Vicky to really go at it. I ran at a pace above my normal running pace. The trainer also corrected my running technique, mainly my hand position. I often run like tis:



It seems my hand should be placed higher around my chest level. The trainer also explain I should relax my shoulder and swing my hands back and forth naturally according to my body's natural running rhythm. He also told me I hunchback/sag too much during running hence wasting a lot of my energy. I should run with my chest proud.

At the final stretch, I was really punishing every single muscle in my fatigue body as the trainer keep pushing me to finish the run strong. My breath was ravaged, body fatigued, leg pumped with too much acid lactic yet I was still running at a pace I typically burnt out after 5 minutes. This is a powerful arsenal in a runner's gauntlet, "Mind over Body". I finished in 29 minutes, gasping for air at the end yet my mind was already experiencing the so called "runner's high".

Frankly speaking, I doubt I could have ran non-stop at that pace if I wasn't encourage/pushed by the trainer. I probably would have taken several walking breaks. Hence, why I think I lack the attitude to "keep pushing" during training.

I learned a few new things too this session. First, on my breathing problem when I run. I tend to have problem breathing smoothly when I run. Doesn't matter what pace I run, you will hear me gasping for air. The trainer say it's quite common to have this problem, the fix is to run more regularly (I been running 3 year yet still have tis problem). The trainer advise me to maybe get one of those watches that can monitor my heart rate, so I can learn to control my heart rate better. Another thing is if you have cramps after your run, you might consider taking glucose after running. I also receive some feedback from the trainer on my running ability, he say my speed is ok and have a quite consistent pacing. He told me I could probably with some more training do a 50 minutes for a 10K (My PB for 10K is 56 minutes).

After the run, we do the weekly ritual of drills... Pushup, Situp, Burpee, Squat, Jumping Squat, Step up. At set 2, my leg was overdose on acid lactic after the burpee. I struggle to complete the Squat, Jumping Squat and Step up. Imagine trying to drag a lifeless leg to move and you can imagine how it was at that moment, when the trainer was keep shouting to keeping going when my leg was already not responding to my mind (It's not the case the leg is pain so you don't want to move it but the leg is totally not responding to the mind instruction). The reason for keep pushing here besides improving one physical is too built up a better mental strength. The trainer explain these drills are really a test of mental rather that physical. I managed to survive set 2. But I gave up doing set 3 as I felt like puking (NEVER booze at the night before a serious drill) and giddy.

So here I am, tired and hurting from 2 cramping calves. Trying to capture the exhilaration I experience from pushing myself to the limit. The biggest lesson I learn for the day perhaps is I'm lacking the attitude to "Push myself to the limit" during training.

0 b*tchin: