Friday, September 21, 2012

Right or Wrong?

Dear bloggie,

"Your task can't be consider complete since there are some gaps to it. Your delay will result in the team schedule to be late and the whole team will susah".

These words make me "snapped" today...

If one's s/w requirement is incomplete or missing some loose ends, whose fault izt when ur final product doesn't include this feature? The developer? The person who defines the requirements? Or the team?

Or maybe it's just me... I dunno anymore... I just don't feel like doing it anymore. No longer know how to do programming anymore. Let me be the 1st to admit my flaws: lone ranger, don't talk much, slacker, not interested in bombastic business flows (why do u even think I go into IT instead of business for?), not interested in geek gadgets, not interested in if Netbean is way better than Eclipse or vice versa. My interest in IT, let me say it straight and plainly, IS DEAD. I doing it as a job to earn my bread and butter, not cause I enjoy doing it. I have long stopped enjoying it...

But I always prided myself as the programmer that can get things done at the promise time, tell me u want input A and output B, I may not be able to give u the best solution but I will come up with a working one within the timeline.... but when ur superior ignores ur effort by saying the whole thing is not working (it's not not working, just need do a workaround to work) because of a gap, I start to ponder... Izt me or the other side that is wrong. A constant problem I been having with my superior is where is the line drawn for a feature? I favor the black and white way cause I think it's the only sane way to draw a line on what should be delivered and what shouldn't. When people use words like "expect u to know", I'm often find it hard to gauge the level of coverage these people "expect u to know". I can write a simple requirement for u to write a webpage that count 2 numbers the user inputted, can I use the word "expect u to know" to justified that the UI should look like a calculator, uses https, be color friendly to color blind people, etc when evaluating the webpage?

Imagine a single working sample of how to generate the content of the table as your acceptance criteria. So who should I go to clarify where goes to where in the table for other scenarios? Is it my responsibilities to document these scenarios? And to think of negative test cases when in fact during planning, all that was discuss was the happy scenarios? And do I have to correct the wrong stated outputs for the scenarios? When I bark, I get shot saying it's a team effort, so why am I so particular about whose responsibilities izt to do these things? Why can't I bark when I'm getting barked at on this to begin with?

The thing that I probably can't tolerate the most is the part "my gap is causing the whole team to fall behind the schedule." A feature that probably takes 2-3 days that was totally missed out by the PO, team lead, programmer (me) and QA is resulting in the whole schedule to fall behind so much? When things like requirement changes to add feature "A" in, removing it after a few sprints later and after another few sprints adding it back again, is happening over and over again makes it hard for me to comprehend. Anyway, isn't scrum an iterative process? ie: Missed something? No worries, next sprint add it. Is that not the reason why scum sprints are short in nature? Cause it recognize one is bound to missed something or have a gap?

Probably the funniest part which I do admit I'm guilty off, is my facebook gaming in office. Yea, I tetris battle during 12-2pm. I know it's my fault, but I find it rather funny and amusing that some people can play wii or pool within the same period and yet have no one complain about it.

0 b*tchin: