Friday, March 5, 2010

Close your lights for an hour, Save the world

Dear bloggie,

When I logged into my Facebook account today, I almost fainted due to shock as there was a event invitation... I click the link to see what kinda event invitation izt and tis pops up...

"Earth Hour 2010 Malaysia"

I dunno whether or not I should shake my head in disbelief or kowtow in respect. Last year, alot of people join in this event. For one hour, they close out everything and go cold turkey. Last year, MFR declare the event as a fad. My response to him was "Every journey begins with a step". This year, I eat my own words. This is why I eat my words:

First of all, after all those people go cold turkey for 1 hour what is the first thing they do when the 1 hour is up? They turned on everything back. When is the next time they started saving electric? 1 year later on the next year (this year) Earth Hour event. Anything changed except our earth maybe gain one extra hour to live?

What disgust me more is those remarks in the Earth Hour Event. Create the awareness! Yea rite... Create the awareness that there is a event where a bunch of sohai close their hour electric and feel good thinking they saved earth this way. Congrats, Kudos, Holy shit, Godlike, F*ckin rapid, We saved 1 / 24 / 365 = 0.01145525% of energy one long year. I quote what my father said about this Earth Hour event last year, "A bunch of sohai see other people close light, so they kah cheng chiueh (@$$ itchy) also close light".

Those who participate in this event probably goreng me saying "It's a good publicity stunt event that make people aware of Earth energy consumption problem". My counter argument is tis:

So what if more people are aware of Earth energy consumption problem? There's all sorts of problems (poverty, war, injustice, pollution, etc...) that alot of us are aware of but we merely continued with our everyday ignorant f*ckin lifestyle... Every journey has to begin with a step... But what is the use of a journey that is only a one step journey? After the end of the 1 hour Earth Hour 2009, has there been any serious follow up effort to reduce energy consumption? How many u think will answer yes?

More ironic are those that I heard at the last event close the home electric but went out to hang at shopping malls. Play smart not hard... The best analogy I can think of is a drug addict claiming trying to go clean by not taking drugs at his home but instead go take drugs at a night club. But frankly speaking what would going cold turkey suppose to achieve anyway? We experience discomfort due to no light, no fan, no etc but what does that discomfort have to do with conserving energy? All we learn is that no power, susah leh. Will that promote us to start conserving energy or rather do the exact opposite instead?

So really, Earth Hour 2010 really isn't a serious effort to save earth but just a social fun event that just happens to save earth energy by 0.01% a year.

Personally, I think if one is really serious about saving Earth, one is better of trying to curb one bad energy consumption habit (ie: Maybe close all bedroom lights when go to sleep or etc) a year instead of joining this mambo jumbo festival.

0 b*tchin: