Tuesday, February 15, 2011

272 steps of faith...

Dear bloggie,

272 x 2 x 5

That's 2,720... Ok, for those who are wondering wtf I'm b*tchin about, one needs to know a few things...

1. Batu Caves stair case consist of 272 steps
2. Boot camp #5 was held in Batu Caves, campers were required to jog + walk up and down the stairs 5 times
3. I attend and completed the Boot camp #5

So, it doesn't take someone with an IQ of 180 to deduce wat 2,720 means now. Yea, I humped conquer Batu Caves stair case 5 times over. I'd pay tribute to the Gods of Running by jog + walk up those bloody stairs, those stairs are stained in blood I tell u... I gave it all I had, till my leg was trembling from the shock.

I will be the first to admit, how I underestimated those stairs. 272 onli mah... Wat a humbling experience it was for me, when I onli managed to jog up less than 1/4 of the way up on my 1st attempt. I was stunned by how hard it was to jog on those stairs. For starters, the steps are small, smaller than my foot be be exact. Hence it's hard to not feel fear of miss stepping when I jog at a rather fast pace up this steps. I had to walk most of the way as I'm unable to conquer my fear of falling. Despite walking 3/4 of the way up, my stamina was already pushed to overdrive when I reached the top the temple. Coming down however was far easier. Just make sure u land correctly on the steps.

My 2nd lap was better. I observed how the trainer jog on this stairs. 1/2 foot landing only on the steps. I mimic it. Managed to jog almost 1/2 way up. Then I suddenly felt a soreness in my quads. I try pushing through it, but my leg was limping already. I was stunned by how hard it was to take those tiny steps. I walked remaining of the way up. On top, my breathing was already in ravaged mode and I discovered I was OSIMed (Whole body was shaking like those people standing/sitting/riding on a OSIM machine, when I stand straight due to quads trembling). I try pumping some life back into my quads by doing some leg stretches. Helped a bit, but I jog down the stairs with these trembling quads.

Round 3, the short run on flat surface below (make a 50m u turn back to the stairs) restored some of my spirit to continue tis crazy pilgrimage. Again I started up jog up the stairs. This time around, I made a slight adjustment to my leg hop. I try reducing the leaping strength I used. I deduce I was using way too much strength on the previous lap for each step hence accumulating too much acid lactic too soon. My adjustment worked as I made it way pass the 1/2 way point but didn't quite made it to the 3/4 point. On the top, I continue to OSIMed and feel giddy. A brief walking around the top of the temple to recover before jogging down.

My 4th, I was pretty much already in agony. I already had the "Hate this f*ckin training", "Can't do this", "OMG WTF! Gimme a flat running route pls!" feel. Some minor adjustment on strength used for each step, I managed to reach the 3/4 point. At this point, I was OSIMed, tired, breathing like a vacuum cleaner and THIRSTY. I wanted to kicked myself on the head for being so conceited for no bringing along my water when the trainer asked if we needed to bring along the water for the pilgrimage (None boot campers bought along their water, all underestimated this challenge). "Just ignore the trembling and jog on" the trainer advice when I jog down. The trainers seem immune to the OSIMed effect these steps have on normal people.

The final lap, despite all the humbling experience I endured, the desire to complete the pilgrimage was still burning hot. I gave it all I had for the last jog up. I tried tailing my trainer pace (still obvious he's still holding back), and managed to somehow follow it most of the way. With around 50+- steps left, my leg just stop responding. Too much acid lactic in my quads. I could see the top, and I wanted to push through it, I didn't care about the pain... but my leg just won't respond... I walked up the few remaining steps in agony, not physical one but rather in spirit for failing to complete even 1 full jog up. On the top, the gerai was already open, so I bought a bottle of mineral water and drown myself in disappointment. The trainer decided to give us a breather by giving us a tour guide into Batu Caves. 1st time I visited Batu Caves, so quite amusing to see the temple inside the cave. The jog down was nothing much to write about as the tough part was already over. But on the way down, the trainer pointed to us a guy whom was holding 3-4 box of can drinks on his head while heading upward. Kowtow...

A short breather, and we finished off with the routine drills. Push up, Sit up, Burpee, Squat, Jumping Squat and Step up for 3 sets, set 1 for 30 seconds, set 2 for 45 seconds and final set 60 seconds. At set 2, my shoulder strength gave up during push up (overdone it in set 1). Leg loss strength at 2nd set jumping squat, couldn't even jumped. 3rd set was a really painful one. Felt like puking while doing the final set. Had no shoulder strength hence struggle in push up and step up. Quad were toasted, struggle to do burpee and jumping squat. When the trainer said "stop" at the final drill exercise, I crashed to the floor. Really breakdown, physical and mental.

I have to say, the whole experience was a really satisfying one (despite all the pain, OSIM, humbling, breakdown, etc). This was what I signed up for. To push myself to and beyond my limit both physically and mentally. I think this round, I really exceeded my limit, the steps really busted my quads making the drill harder than it already was. I promised myself, I would one day again attempt this pilgrimage again.

0 b*tchin: