Monday, February 7, 2011

Kick some ice

Dear bloggie,

Yea... Went to Suke to Sunway Piramid today to do some post CNY shopping. Too bad the clothes I wanted to buy got some pulled thread, so I didn't buy it, tomolo will got Mid Valley hunt for this cloth.

However, I broke the monk tradition of doing absolutely nothing on shopping mall trips by doing something quite unexpected... Skating. Yea, Suke suggested we try skating, and the next thing we know, we already in the ice ring hanging to the side of the wall for our dear life.

As I already expected, skating looks so easy, but when u get into the ice ring with those skates, F*CK... Fear! My first few steps, I was glued to the wall, fearing I would flip and fall overhead... I swing my leg backwards to get some momentum so I can move forward, instead one skate pull me backward, another pull me forward... Panic... It was baby steps for Suke and me, as we try to learn how to walk on skates with the aid of the wall. After making 3/4 circle around the ring, we were faced with a blocker, 1/4 corner of the ring was close for "pro" to practice. So we had 2 options, 1 walk back opposite direction against the flow (but have the wall for aid) or take a leap of faith and walk across the center of the ring to the other side of the ring. Suke almost took the later options but chicken out after unable to balance on the skate without the wall. I didn't even consider the latter options as I knew I would sink. So we both made our way back to the other side against the flow. Slowly, I managed to learn how to walk without the wall. Painful process for my foot I tell u. We managed to make it back to the exit and took a timeout at the bench.

Discouraged by pathetic effort to skate, I almost wanted to just call it quit. But somehow, I feel an urge to atleast take a blind leap of faith and try to cross the center of the ice ring without the aid of the wall. So I jumped back into the ring and try to walk near the wall without holding to the wall. Soon, as the fear of falling slowly subside, I was able to walk without the wall with some random almost fall moments. Soon I reach the 3/4 dead end again. Here, seeing so many people crossing the ring without the aid of the wall, some falling on their bum trying... I took a leap of faith and walk across. Was a very frightening moment, especially when the thought of falling in the middle of the ring with no one to aid you up again. How will I drag myself up on the slippery ice? But lucky for me, I managed to walk across with no incident... -_-"

The fear of falling was soon replaced by the desire to learn how to glide. Try a few things, but never really managed to glide forward, not sure why. Tried observing a few pro skaters, but not sure why they can gain momentum by pushing their leg back. I tried pushing my leg back and not only no momentum but almost fall. Still had fun circling the ring a few times with no aid from the wall. Suke soon joined me too and attempted to cross the ring too. Since I can walk on the ice de, he use me as support. Both almost fell when he lost his balance and pulled me, resulting me also almost lose balance. But soon he also managed to walk on the ice.

I had a few more rounds walking on the ring, but still didn't managed to skate. Probably wrong technique. Anyway, alot of mui mui chai and chicks on the ring. One mui mui chai (college age I think) grabbed onto my elbow from my behind when she almost fell. Also saw a dude do a frontal ramming into a gal from the side... Wow, next time I also wanna try tis de la...

Too bad my left foot near the ankle was in pain, so I had to stop "walking" and rest at the bench. I pulled the socks out and wow... skin peel a few layers... No blood but I think the way I walk on ice is wrong hence the boot chipped into my leg. I decided to call it a day and hit the road with Suke. Overall, an enjoyable experience... Look forward the next skating session. Maybe will take up some classes on skating too... See how...

0 b*tchin: