Thursday, July 28, 2011

Spin, Spin, Spin..!!!

Dear bowling ball,

Dogdammit!! Why dun u spin one!? Niaseng...

Been trying to pickup the spinner bowling technique aka Helicopter/UFO ball. So far, still epic failure to throw this kinda ball. Actually wanted to learn hook ball one, but since in house bowling ball very hard to hook one and I no $$$ to buy one bowling ball, so I decided to learn spinning instead since they say normal in house ball can use for this technique.

The difference of spinning and normal straight shot is well, the bowling ball will spin horizontally in spinning lor. This shot unlike hook or straight shot which best aim is the 1-2 or 1-3 pocket, works best when strike the 1st pin directly. The spinning motion will have different domino effect on the pins when hit the 1st pin. However this technique from what I heard, has higher injury risk as the finger motion to spin the ball is quite taxing on the fingers compared to a straight or hook shot. It's suppose to be like throwing a dice finger motion, the fingers will end up in a high five finishing position after throwing the ball. This technique is quite popular in asia countries (especially taiwan) coz this technique was developed to counter the rather harsh lane condition (not properly oiled lanes = hard to hook) here. A strong point of this technique is due to the less contact of the ball with the lane, it's not so influence by lane condition.

So far I still struggling to use this technique. I still can't find a compromise between the power of spin and targeting. If my ball is straight, the spin is not powerful enuff, if my ball spin is gud, the ball target eat corner... I also have to downgrade my ball weight to 10 pounds one from my normal 13-14 pounds one, as spinners usually use 10-12 pounds balls coz it's harder to put a strong spin if the ball is too heavy. I have seen some people bowl using this technique and is in awe at the power of this shot. While it may lack the elegance of a hook shot, but the spinning ball hit the pin is like watching a tornado cross a town...

0 b*tchin: