Sunday, September 5, 2010

Calipers

Dear bloggie,

I spoil myself again and burnt a hole in my wallet again by buying this today:



No! This ain't a forceps but it's a sex fitness toy called caliper. In case u wondering, I'm using tis to calculate my "thing" size. How to use it? Easy, just pinch "it" HARD and then put the caliper on the pinch and press a bit hard on the calipers to clip it. Then wala, u can read the measurement on the calipers to get ur "thing" size. Maybe I still n00b at using this calipers la, but I got pretty small measurements for my "thing".

Btw, the "thing" I refering to here is my skinfold lor... WTF u think I measuring wor?

Jokes asides, why do I measure my skinfold? I measuring my skinfold so I can calculate roughly my fat %. As you may or may not know, in body building the common way to measure progress is to calculate how much muscle u gain. A common mistake people do when they trying to calculate muscle gain, they use weight scale to compare their body weight before and after.

See, if I eat bah kut teh for 1 month for breakfast + lunch + dinner then no exercise and (if I no die la) I obviously will gain weight one mah. Then can I say "Walau eh, I gain 3-4kg of muscle just by eating pig like a pig and sleeping like a pig" [Imagine a fat version of me with a HUGE BOUNCY 1 pack abs flexing my muscle like the Hulk here]

To more accurately calculate muscle gain, one needs to calculate weight then subtract ur fat to get ur muscle mass. Then u compare ur muscle mass from prev weighting to see if increase or decrease. So how do you calculate your fat? There is several ways, one of em is the skinfold method which uses the caliper to roughly estimate your fat %. To get a estimate of your fat %, you need measure the skinfold at several parts of your body then insert these values into a formula.

So what is my fat %? That unfortunately is my secret... And one more fun fact, typically for those gunning for a 6 pack, the fat % is a quite important indicator as for male, often one need to go down to 1 digit figure for fat % for your abs to be even visible.

1 b*tchin:

Weird Dan said...

True. I did that what body composite index scan thingy in gym. Last time i got 8% fat nia. Now naik to more than 10%. Haihz no more abs for me