Friday, August 3, 2012

An August

Dear bloggie,

Gonna be quite a "busy" month...

Attended my 1st prerequisite class for pilates instructor course today.

Feel so old when I step into tis class. Why? It been almost YEARS since I last attended any learning class or etc (with exception of IBM's WCM which might I add IBM WCM SUX!). Wat workshop I attended? "Review of the Human anatomy" Funny noes? The IT Nerd learning not about cool computer gadget but the human body? Kinda ironic from my point of view... Yet again life is one big contradiction.

Anyway, quite small workshop with just 4 students (including me) and 1 instructor (+1 chick to demo the exercise). Sadly all gal except me, sorta make me wonder why so little men do pilates. Actually I feel compare to yoga, even less men willing to join pilates. Dunno why, I mean if one were to compare "pilates" to "yoga", the word pilates sounds more "manly" no? So why men willing more to join yoga then pilates is beyond my understanding. If compare exercise wise, I feel pilates is more "strength" in most exercises than yoga. Should be easier for men noes since men is typically strength while women is flexibility?

Cummin back from my stray rant... Yea, I was overwhelm by the information shoved in my mouth (and ears) in this workshop. You can say I have some basic muscle (pec, bicep, tricep, etc) knowledge having done resistance training but today workshop is another whole different level. Bones, Joints, Muscle... The scientific names alone is a handful for an absent minded klutz like me, then the theory of how these elements come together to make a movement... HOLY SH*T!!!! But as the saying "To shut of a pain at wound at a body part, inflict a even greater wound at another body part." Having endured some of the "complicated" workflow at work a few weeks ago, this is nothing much la. At least tis is something that everyone has and won't change after a few months (or weeks). Course Workshop mates: 1 from Philippines and 2 others from Sabah (If I didn't hear wrong la).

The joints and muscles information are explain using the bone, so the 1st thing we learn is the fundamental of the human bones (Actually 2nd thing, since 1st we learn how to view human body from "3D" angles and which is sagittal, transverse & coronal planes -_-' Yea, I know, barely started but sweating already). So we learn the grouping of bones, and the components of those grouping. And then followed by a in depth discussion on the component(or bones) itself. It's location, shape n why so oddly shaped the way it is one?

The bone lecture can say focus more on functional parts like ribcage, shoulder n etc which we used when making movements. I try my best to jot down interesting information that the instructor told (like our rib got 2 "floating" ribs bones (T11 and T12) that are useless where we can break em with no effect except the pain of breaking em) that usually I feel won't be so obviously written in document describing these bones. Very informative I feel the lecture but a bit too much for me to cramp in the short period of time. I hope I am able to capture the format of understanding then slowly relearn those bones in the similar format in the near future. After bones, it's the joints. The joints scientific names are quite funny in the sense it a combination of the bones name where it's located. Like for instance "Glenohumeral" joint is the joint between the glenoid fossa (shoulder socket) and humerus (bone where bicep n tricep is). And if ur wondering, ya I have to refer to my notes and google to write the last scientific fact above.

After all those boney lecture, then we learn on terminology of the movement of bone. Abduction, adduction, pronation, supination, blablabla... is wat... -_-". Next up is if I recall correctly is the muscles terminology. Wat is ago and anta, stabilizier and mobilizer. After that we learn the concept of isotonic, isometric, concentric and essentric.

Then came the most interesting part in my opinion for the whole workshop. Applying everything we learn from the start of the "LONG" lecture in the form of executing a few pilates exercises. I can see clearly now why it's advantageous to know the things from the lecture as the exercise description list out all the muscle involved, stabilizer, mobilizer and bones. From what I understand, we are suppose to focus on stabilizer muscles 1st to get a strong starting form before we use our mobilizer muscles to init the movement. Knowing what muscle is where helps as it's easier for us "consciously" to activate it when we do the exercise to achieve proper form.

Overall I feel I have learn something interesting from this workshop. But I feel I barely could remember 50% (exact info) of what I learnt today, which I think is ok since I think the purpose for this workshop (for me) is to get my hands dirty on human anatomy and as well as grab a rough structure on what I need to learn for the next 1-2 week before taking my course. I feel workshops should not be a conclusive kinda thing, but rather should serve as a guideline instead for us to know roughly what we need to brush up on after the workshop.

Tml, another exciting day. Another different workshop on "Postural Analysis". Heard of it but never seen how it's done before. Will be a very interesting cause I heard we will be touching each other (or ourself) to identify shortcomings in our body structure and posture. Wonder if I get to "touch" a chick tml (for educational purposes, Wahahaha)?

Share post: Here are some random pix of my day, today...





0 b*tchin: