Saturday, October 16, 2010

Eating knowledge...

Dear bloggie,

If u told me a year ago to eat healthy, I would probably give u the finger and say "Are u crazy!?"... However, fast forward to now, in my never ending quest to gain more muscle and reduce fat at the same time... I have began to embraced that I need to eat healthy.

I have experimented with quite a number of food combos over the past few months, especially since I no longer able to cook from the comfort of my home anymore for my 2-3 afternoon meals.

Being an oddball and etc, forced me to eat alone for lunch for most of the time. Hence a favorite lunch meal I favor is Old Town. Now before u label me "Nutcase" thinking I think Old Town = Healthy, let me tell ur first what I eat there. 2 Omega 1/2 boil egg and a 2 pieces of kaya toast.

Cost: RM5,
Protein: Estimate (2 x 6g) + (1 x 4g) = 16g
Fat: Estimate (2 x 5g) + (2 x 1.6g) = 13g

I recently have also started to vary my lunch by including KFC into the mix. Jom Jimat Set A, which cost RM 6.20 (+tax) for a piece of chicken, rice, a coleslaw and a drink.

Cost: RM6.20
Protein: Estimate 25 + 5 + 1 = 31g
Fat: Estimate 8 + 4 + 14 = 26g
*Assuming u eat OR chicken breast, and bet u dunno the 14g from fat actually come from the coleslaw. Also u can 1/2 the fat from the chicken by not eating the skin.

A lot of protein but a lot of fat also this combo. Not very healthy.

I'm also guilty of this particular sin. I regretted it after seeing the nutritional fact. McDonald's McValue Meal, Spicy Chicken Deluxe

Cost: RM7.50+
Protein: 17.7 + 4.1 = 21g
Fat: 27.7 + 16.1 (Fries Medium) = 43g

My eyes nearly popped out when I did the maths based on the values from McDonalds website here. 43g fat!! That like the sum of 3-4 meals fat I would normally consumed. I already declared self imposed ban on McDonalds.

So my next experiment? I planning on include canned bean into my diet. A normal yeos canned bean contains:

Cost: RM2.50+
Protein: 12g
Fat: 3g

Super low fat, but protein a bit low. But one thing good about beans is it's high in fiber. Means u will feel full even if u eat a a bit.

Besides this, I also planned to include fish into my diet. Today I demolish a Portuguese Grilled Sting Ray at Midvalley Food Court. I thought I eaten a really huge fat bomb as the meal was so delicious. But having R&D the net on stingray, the supposed nutritional fact:

Cost: RM 6.50
Protein: 39g
Fat: 9g
* Taken from here

I not so sure bout 39g of protein, as that is abit TOO HIGH. And the fat from what I read, seems to be the good type of fat. So really, this meal easily beats anything KFC + McDonald can dish up. But problem is, can I find grilled fish in Cyberlauya?

I not so sure about my new desire to be more of a nutritional nazi, but I'm grateful for my thirst of knowledge for healthy food. Else I would still be dumbly eating KFC coleslaw thinking it's vege hence good for me (It's the mayo, tat's y it DAMN fattening).

They say you are who you think you are. Me think, physically la, you are what u eat. So, till my next hunt for the healthy meals... Take care of what u shove into ur mouths...

#Note: I found out that there is a nice and cheap grilled fish stall at Cyberlauya near at the food court at the bus station there. Will go try out tis monday... Can read more about it here

0 b*tchin: