Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Life as a House

Dear bloggie,

"I always thought of myself as a house. I was always what I lived in. It didn't need to be big. It didn't even need to be beautiful. It just needed to be mine. I became what I was meant to be. I built myself a life. I built myself a house. - George, Life as a House."

What would u do if u were told right now u have terminal cancer and have 4 months left to live?

That the tag line for the movie "Live as a House". George, an architect that has just been laid off was was told he had terminal cancer and have 4 months left to live. For George, he decides to use his remaining time to abolish his old shack that he hates so much but have live in for 26 years and built a house or at least die trying to built one together with his estranged son. The whole movie entails George final 4 months trying to rebuild a house along with his relationship with his goth + rebellious son Sam (Darth Vader), his divorced wife Robin and all people he knew from his life. A touching tale of the love bonds of family and human beings in general. A tone of the movie reminds me of "American Beauty" (Quite a lot of American "culture"). A recommended watch for architects and non-architects.

Personally I think being told you are going to die soon isn't such a bad thing. People tend to get their priority straight instead of drifting meaningless day after day... Maybe it's cause of the mentally, "I'll always have tomorrow" or maybe we look so far forward into the future, we forget the present moment we are living in. In that sense, I think "Living meaningfully for a short time" is way better than "Living meaninglessly for forever".

0 b*tchin: